How I fell off and got back on the holistic beauty train
Sometimes certain life experiences will take you on an emotional roller coaster – fearful one moment and exhilarating the next.
The last few weeks have been an incredible personal journey, and I was on that emotional roller coaster even if sometimes I didn’t really know it.
From the initial thrill of choosing to move away from our home of 7 years, to hubby and I fulfilling a goal years earlier than we thought possible, to securing a new role, to a new neighbourhood, the packing, the unpacking, countless goodbye’s and hello’s, hugs and tears, last days by the ocean traded for the thick of urban living created an interesting ride – one which I am still on.
As we touched down in our new hometown early last week, my wise younger sister sent me a poignant message that I haven’t forgotten –
“…make sure you do one thing a day just for you”
I like to pride myself on resilience and grit, but in last few weeks those layers of resilience have been gradually torn away by the absence of security, familiarity and routine. I was falling off the holistic beauty train without even realising it. With new experiences presenting themselves from all directions, it became clear that those words of my sister would need to be prominent in my daily thoughts to save myself from a nasty crash and burn.
But what does it really mean?
Where I am at right now, it means two very important things:
When everything is new – new home, new team, new neighbours, it can be a lot to take in emotionally. Amongst all this somewhat unsettling time, our ability to stay present is ever important. Rather than getting “stuck” on one feeling, I allow myself to feel whatever I am feeling at the time, allowing it to pass through me. Even if this mean’t allowing myself to shed a tear or two in a yoga class.
Secondly, all this newness can leave your stress levels heightened and your immune system weakens. With your immune system teetering on the edge, it is important that you nourish your physical body as much as possible.
In essence, the last few weeks have left me jumping on and off the holistic beauty train, devoid of any sort of routine. Not allowing time to look after the body and soul of number one – ME!
When you have the space to do so, it is more than okay to get off the train for a period of time. Holiday’s are an ideal time as it is not necessary to have a defined routine and just being able to roll through life is important. You DO need to do this once in a while!
With the experiences of the last few weeks in mind, I wanted to share with you some small acts that have helped me get back on the holistic beauty train:
- Allow yourself to sleep whenever you can. This is essential for creating a stable mind and healthy body, especially when life is a little unsettling.
- Devour a green smoothie or two. Although I wouldn’t encourage drinking all your meals, if you are on the go a green smoothie can be a great way to get in some essential fats, vitamins and minerals. My favourite is Lizzy’s green skin food smoothie which you can find here.
- Take time to cook a beautiful meal at home. Cooking is another form of meditation for me and a great way to slow down, listen to your favourite tunes, light some sweet-smelling candles and most importantly nourish your body with clean food.
- Sunshine. Whenever you can get out in the sun. It is essential for your immune system and your mood. Combine it will a little sweat session to get those endorphins pumping. A little biophilia time will leave you feeling grounded and connected with the world, especially when you might be feeling a little disconnected.
- Revisit your core desired feelings. When life becomes unsettling, the simple way to get yourself back on track is do a little inner work. I turn to Danielle LaPorte’s The Desire Map, which provides a little intuitive guidance for the daily actions I personally need to take to feel good. As Danielle would say, knowing how you want to feel is “the most potent form of clarity”.
- Do a yoga class or start a daily meditation practice. Whether it be 10mins of meditation or an hour of yoga, I can assure you that you will step away from your practice feeling more centred and grounded for a sustained period of time. I was feeling pretty out of sorts this week, but after an hour of yin yoga at my new favourite bliss space. I walked away in a more present and loving state of mind.
- The final and most profound thing I have discovered, is the ability to give yourself time to ride the emotions and don’t be too hard on yourself if things don’t fall into place quickly or the way you thought they would. Allowing yourself to just be okay with where you are at can help strengthen self-acceptance and self-love at a time when it might be feeling a little low.
So beautiful, have you ever been through a big life experience that left you feeling a little unsettled emotionally? out of routine and a bit off the wagon with your beauty food? What have you done to get you back on track? We would love to find out how you got your bliss back!
And if you want to delve a little deeper into what the holistic beauty journey has been for Ruby, then check out our recent posts on alcohol and detoxing your cupboards – you are sure to find an abundance of tips and tricks to help you get started.