DIY Coconut Oil Body Butter
I ran out of moisturiser last weekend and as I was already attacking another DIY recipe (lip scrub), I did a bit of research in to natural options for body moisturisers as well.
I found this recipe from Living The Nourished Life and made my own ‘Whipped Coconut Oil Body Butter’.
p.s. making this recipe may result in you humming Whip it to the tune of ‘Push It’ by salt’n’pepa round your kitchen… you have been warned!
Results are below for your viewing pleasure:
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- A few drops of essential oil
Note: I swapped Vitamin E Oil for Bio Oil & my choice of essential oil was Lavender.
1. Put the coconut oil in to your mixing bowl.
2. Add the teaspoon of oil.
3. Add several drops of your chosen essential oil(s). This is completely down to personal preference, so it is as much or as little as you like.
4. Whip it, Whip it real good!
5. Mix on high-speed for 6 – 7 minutes until you have a light and airy consistency.
6. Store your whipped body butter in an air tight container, I choose an old jam jar to keep mine in.
- Don’t melt the oil! You need the oil to be in solid form for this to work – it won’t whip otherwise
- Store in the fridge during the hotter months of the year or for a refreshingly cool application
- Don’t have a mixer? That’s fine, electric hand mixers will work just as well!
- A blender or food processor won’t whip the oil, as they heat it up too much & it melts
- As with the diy lip scrub recipe, you can swap coconut oil for any of these: shea butter, Cupuacu butter, Mango butter or Babassu oil (as they all have the same consistency)
- Use a combination of essential oils for a mini aromatherapy session with every application
Happy moisturising beauties!
Don’t forget to share with us if you try the recipe and what you think!